Explore the Lake of the Ozarks on a Kayak, Canoe, or Paddle Board- Here's Where You Can Rent Yours
The Lake of the Ozarks is known for its big boats and fast wave runners. But what if you want to take things a little slower? Water toys like kayaks, paddle boards, canoes, and paddle boats are a great way to get some exercise and take in the nature on the shore. Some visitors bring their own, but if you're not lucky enough to have one, it's easy to get a rental. Local businesses make it easy and safe to get on the water quickly, so you can start enjoying your water toy.
Kayaks are a wonderful experience for one or two people (or one person and a dog!) to paddle around the lake and get from here to there quickly. Bring a picnic to eat on the shore halfway through your trip. Or load up your fishing equipment for a peaceful day of casting your line. You'll want to stay in a nice quiet cove if you're not a pro kayaker. Large waves can be a little intimidating if you're a newbie!
Kayaks work nicely if you have an equal number of adults and children in your group. Kids can practice their paddling with the help of the adult on board.
If you're trying to decide on a sit-on-top kayak or a sit-inside kayak, it's all about personal preference. The sit-inside kayak works well in cold weather, since your legs sit inside the hull and your lower body is shielded from the wind. On the other hand, a sit-on-top kayak allows water to splash on your legs and cool you off in the summertime. You can also jump in the water and get back into the kayak without docking or finding a beach.
Here are some places to rent kayaks at the Lake of the Ozarks:
- Adventure Boat Rentals- North, like all of the Adventure Boat Rentals locations, offers a military discount.
- Adventure Boat Rentaps- Sunset Beach is near a lot of the action in Osage Beach.
- Alhonna Resort & Marina offers single and double kayak rentals so you can so solo or take a friend.
- Leisure Lake Charters doesn't just offer charters. Their kayak rentals are a hit too!
- Little Niangua Campground is off the beaten path, but that's the best place to paddle around.
- Montego Bay is located at Val-E-View Resort, so you can stay and play without driving anywhere.
- Mike Fink Marina has single and tandem kayak rentals close to the dam.
- Ozark Yacht Club is near the Strip and has a nice cafe for a delicious meal after your kayak expedition.
Canoes can hold a little more, whether you want room for three people or more gear. Two adults and a kid? Check. Two adults and a large cooler? Check. You'll still probably want to find a nice cove to explore in your canoe. The southern portions of the lake have awesome areas that can seem uninhabited. This is our kind of canoe trip!
If you're feeling adventuruous, you can even pack in a tent and cooking supplies and go backwoods camping on the shore. (Just be sure to stay in the State Park or get permission from property owners.)
Try these local businesses if you're looking for a canoe rental:
- Super Dave's Paddle Craft Adventures is right next to Frankie and Louie's. The kids can paddle around in a canoe while the rest of the family enjoys drinks by the beach.
- Little Niangua Campground offers full-blown float trips. Get dropped off up river and relax in the quiet waters of the Little Niangua.
Paddle Board Rentals
Paddle boards are the hot new water sport on the lake and in the US. It's easy to get a full body workout, burn calories, and enjoy nature at the same time. Take your board for a slow paddle around the shore to spot birds and wildlife. Work a little harder and race your buddies across the cove. Into yoga? Try balancing on your board in different poses for the ultimate paddle-board experience.
Whatever your speed, here's where you can rent a paddle board at the Lake:
- Adventure Boat Rentals- North will have you on the water in no time.
- Adventure Boat Rentaps- Sunset Beach is by the resort, making it easy to wake up and hit the water.
- Alhonna Resort & Marina rents paddle boards by the hour and provides a life jacket for your safety.
- Montego Bay- Paddle around where the Big and Little Niangua Rivers meet.
- Leisure Lake Charters makes it easy to enjoy a paddle board for an afternoon.
- Wake Effects isn't on the water, but they also rent car-top carriers so you can take your paddle board anywhere you want to explore. They also deliver, so your group can show up to a lesson and then take off on their own adventures.
Paddle Boat Rentals
Paddle boats may have had their own heyday, but they're still great fun for kids and adults alike. Use your leg power to propel you and your co-captain through the water. It's a great workout!
- Alhonna Resort & Marina has metal pontoon paddle boats that seat two to four people. They're a step up from the plastic paddle boats that are the norm these days.
Water Lounge Mats
- Mike Fink Marina offers mats at half price with a boat rental, or just rent one for the day to take home!
Whatever your preferred way to enjoy the lake in peace, there's a rental place here at the lake that can help you. Kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, paddle boards, and other toys...we have it all. Happy sailing!
Want to get on the water in something with a little more speed and space? Check out our article all about Boat and Waverunner Rentals that's organized by Mile Marker, or just view all the Boat & Wave Runner Rentals available at the lake.